Here is our suggested template for getting the best results, i.e. getting volunteers excited about your opportunity.
Make it a Volunteer position instead of a single task that they must complete. This has proven to be the best way to pique the interest of Volunteers and is easiest to promote on Social Media.
- “Front-end Developer Volunteer” is better than “Create a Landing page with Bootstrap”
- “Data Scientist Volunteer” is better than “Handwritten Digit Recognition Project”
Leave specifics about the opportunity to the About Opportunity section. Try to keep the title nice and simple.
About the Company
Be sure to add company logo on your Company Profile which will then appear on your Opportunities. This shows your professionalism. Here is an example.
Please provide a brief description about the company and what it does. Please don’t expect Volunteers to visit your Company Profile in order to understand what your company does.
About the Opportunity
Describe the Opportunity in sufficient detail under the following sections:
1. Acquired Work Experience
- You can gain experience towards a career as a _ and _ , etc
Here is an example:
The Virtual Assistant Volunteer Opportunity with Givelist is a great chance to build experience toward a career as an Executive or Virtual Assistant – which is a valuable and growing need for many companies.
This volunteer role will also allow you to grow your knowledge, connections and experience (or even portfolio) in Social Media Strategy and Project Management.
Please mention the Responsibilities expected of this Opportunity
Here is an example for Responsibilities:
- Meet with other Volunteers to discuss strategy, then build an organised list of to-do’s that Volunteers will be working on.
- Prioritise competing needs and create or guide a workflow that helps Volunteers complete the larger project.
3. Acquired Skills
Do mention the skills that can be acquired through this Opportunity, for example:
Potential skills you might develop through this Opportunity:
- Competitor analysis.
- Customer interviews.
- Pricing methodologies.
- Pricing products.
- Product positioning.
Do mention how you would endorse the Volunteer for their help.
- Provide a Linkedin testimonial.
- Allow you to add Company to your Linkedin Profile.
- Write Linkedin Post thanking you for your contribution.
- Share the same on Twitter.
- Give you free access to the product for 12 months.
Please do add this disclaimer at the end of your Opportunity:
This is a voluntary position, i.e. there is no direct financial compensation, promise of future paid work or any taxable benefit in kind.
Please make sure you do not make any promises, which breaks UK labour laws, under which SkilledUp Life operates.